University Soup KitchenSaturday January 4, 2014
Registration for this event has passed.
University Soup Kitchen
We serve a wholesome, freshly made meal each Saturday – one that we are happy to eat ourselves – in a respectful atmosphere to anyone who comes through our doors, no questions asked. We provide a welcoming place of respite for our guests and offer vital social services to those in need. We do this with an all-volunteer staff, without a single employee.
Please arrive at 11:45am
Cardinal Spellman Center
137 East 2nd Street
Between First Avenue and Avenue A
Anything I need to know before volunteering?
No special skills are required for volunteering except for the ability to take direction, work hard, and be kind and respectful to our guests and fellow volunteers.
There are some general rules to keep in mind:
* Volunteers should be prepared for manual labor, so wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes and clothes appropriate for serving meals in a restaurant setting. Since all volunteers performing food prep and service must cover their hair as mandated by the Health Department, consider wearing a baseball cap or other head cover. If not, a hair net will be provided to you.
* Personal belongings can be stored in a locked closet but, to be safe, it is best to leave valuables at home.
* To protect the privacy of our guests, we do not allow volunteers to photograph or interview our guests.
* We do not permit volunteers to proselytize their religion or give or sell things to our guests.
* Please arrive at 11:45 a.m. for a quick orientation / job assignment and then courteously stay until clean-up is finished which is generally around 3:30pm.
Please visit The Meatloaf Kitchen for more information.
For questions, please use this link to send a message: Contact Form